This is a man centered post, which might seem silly on a feminist blog, but sexism hurts men too.
What is the man card anyway?
The man card is a concept I find equally entertaining and horribly depressing. Thanks popular culture! The man card is a tool used to keep men in line with some bizarro world definition of what it means to be a ‘real’ man.
Man Card Violations
- being a hairdresser, nurse, or nanny
- manscaping (think: landscaping for men)
- carrying a purse
- anything Twilight (the clear woman-ness of Twilight seems to make some people go especially bonkers)
- cooking (unless you’re trying to get laid, then it’s ok)
- blended drinks
- not fighting that jackass who [insert irritating thing]
- shopping for fun
- knowing color names like chartreuse, periwinkle, auburn, taupe, sienna, or indigo
- chick flicks
- figure skating (watching or doing)
- not liking sports (baseball or football preferred)
- liking cute, cuddly animals in a OMG I just want to pet it way
- owning a cat
- sitting down to pee
What?! Really? …and not just because the video is strange! What does this have to do with manliness, courage, honor… anything?
Then there are the downright depressing man card violations…
- talking about feelings (lust and anger ok)
Since when is not talking about feelings a good idea? Your best friend just died. Suck it up. Don’t cry. Don’t talk about it! You’re a man!
- not being able to get it up
Don’t you think this guy is having enough problems already. Does he need the entire weight of society’s expectations too? I’m sure that medical condition will be vastly improved by extreme anxiety.
- Not working or putting your family before work
Yikes! Women do this all the time… why can’t men? Oh, right thats what the man card is about. Not acting like a woman. The man card is only funny in a world where people are uneasy about gender roles. Thanks to feminism women can do anything (as long as they do them in a womanly way), but men can still only do “man things.”
Why Don’t Men Revolt?
Shouldn’t men be upset about not being able to do things that women can do? Ah, they might be if society hadn’t tricked them into believing that “women’s work” and feminine things are less worthwhile.
The man card robs you of your hopes and dream and replaces them with what society wants. Break out of the man card cage!!!